Monday, February 25, 2013

Depression and 'The Yellow Wall-Paper'

The Yellow Wall-Paper really struck a nerve with me. I can relate in a number of ways with the narrator of this story. John, the husband and a doctor, in the story, kept assuring the narrator that she was getting better (when in fact she wasn't) and he appeared to me not to really think anything wrong with his wife. Then again, back in those days, very little, if anything, was known about mental illness. It is a fact that 1 out of 4 adults in America suffers from some form of mental illness. I do. I am Bi-polar Type 1, have A.D.H.D. and panic disorder. Of these, Bi-polar is the worst. I suffer, like the narrator, bouts of severe depression, alternating with periods of mania. (Bi-polar used to be called Manic Depression)

Again, like the narrator, I have been told that I am fine or that I am not ill at all, some people still believe that mental illness does not exist. Most often I am fine, I take medication to control my symptoms and have had very good therapists to help me learn to cope with the illness. To be quite honest, I would rather be in a manic phase than a depressed phase. Depression is debilitating, is severe, and can lead to suicide. I am writing this so you can know the signs of depression, in possibly yourself or those you care about. The following list comes from HELPGUIDE.org, who focuses on mental health issues. Common signs of depression are:

 

  • Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. A bleak outlook—nothing will ever get better and there’s nothing you can do to improve your situation.
  • Loss of interest in daily activities. No interest in former hobbies, pastimes, social activities, or sex. You’ve lost your ability to feel joy and pleasure.
  • Appetite or weight changes. Significant weight loss or weight gain—a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month.
  • Sleep changes. Either insomnia, especially waking in the early hours of the morning, or oversleeping (also known as hypersomnia).
  • Anger or irritability. Feeling agitated, restless, or even violent. Your tolerance level is low, your temper short, and everything and everyone gets on your nerves.
  • Loss of energy. Feeling fatigued, sluggish, and physically drained. Your whole body may feel heavy, and even small tasks are exhausting or take longer to complete.
  • Self-loathing. Strong feelings of worthlessness or guilt. You harshly criticize yourself for perceived faults and mistakes.
  • Reckless behavior. You engage in escapist behavior such as substance abuse, compulsive gambling, reckless driving, or dangerous sports.
  • Concentration problems. Trouble focusing, making decisions, or remembering things.
  • Unexplained aches and pains. An increase in physical complaints such as headaches, back pain, aching muscles, and stomach pain.

  • No one needs to suffer with depression-there is help out there. KNOW the SIGNS! I am providing the link to HELPGUIDE.org below. I urge you to take a look!

    http://www.helpguide.org/index.htm 

    2 comments:

    1. I always enjoy reading your blog posts and your submissions each week. Even though I don't care for "The Yellow Wallpaper" as a story, I appreciate comments and discussion. Great job with your post, Judy!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you Mrs. S! ctually I don't care for the story much either, but it did make me think! I have always been interested in mental illness through the ages and I felt so bad for the poor narrator in this story, just thinking of how they, back in those days, coped or tried to deal with their illnesses. Through the ages, the treatment for mental illness has not been pleasant. People with the illnesses were treated very badly and many were killed during the "treatment". I thank God that it isn't like that now! Instead of ice water dips and bloodletting, all I need is medication and monthly therapy! I just wanted others to be aware and like I said the story really made me think.

      ReplyDelete