Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Reading and Daddy

My love for reading comes from Daddy. He was always reading things! One of my fondest memories is of Daddy stretched across his bed reading his Bible! He did this every single night! He always bought us (my siblings and I) books of all sorts. I grew up reading everything around, including the cereal box! By 5th and 6th grade, I was discovered horror, thrillers, and true crime. In 6th grade I read Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi and Curt Gentry. I found it very interesting. I have since read it 2 more times. It has been three years since I have read a good horror story! I have, over the past year, read quite a bit of poetry and American Literature! Which I love as well!
I no longer have my dearly missed Daddy. He lost his battle to cancer, July 14, 2009. He has truly been my main inspiration in life, Daddy loved the Lord, was full of life and had great integrity. He is the one who encouraged me to return to college, after dropping out of high school in 1986. I did return in 2010 and have never been happier with the direction my life is going!
Daddy had an 8th grade education, but he was one of the smartest and wisest people that I knew! Like I said, he always read things-books, magazines, and especially the Bible. After Daddy was diagnosed with terminal cancer, one of my uncles asked what we all wanted to ask, and that was "Are you afraid of dying?" Daddy then explained that he was going to a much better place to be with God, and the final answer to the question was a simple "No."  I miss Daddy like crazy but I thank God for my 39 years of happy memories!
 
Daddy and my oldest daughter, 1989
 
**Another fond memory of Daddy, his love for all babies and children, they always had a special place in his heart, especially for his children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren!**
 
 
 
As a well spent day brings happy sleep,
so life well used brings happy death.
-Leonardo DaVinci
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Wow... Judy that quote at the end is my new favorite. I do not believe I will ever find another quote to compare with how I approach the inevitable.

    I would love to read more about the 8th grade graduate with a gusto for reading. It amazes me that with the way things are today that once upon a time people could make a living a function in society without a diploma. My family is speckled with non graduates. Most finished school; however, others just stopped. My great grandmother quit going to her fourth grade class on the prairie (yes, just like Laura lived) because her mother had died. My grandmother was the only girl so it became her duty to take care of the house, meals, garden, and chickens. This woman of the house was a mere eleven or twelve years old! I must point out some irony here. The lack of education my grandmother received also became the greatest education of all. I think of this because my 15 year old informed me today that she is 6th in her freshman class. The time will come when she will move into her own place. I know she can cook, thanks to the internet she's whipped up some nice meals. The skill of washing laundry then having them turn out better than it went in is my quandary. The machines we have these days are wonderful inventions; however, keeping a stocked kitchen is something to ponder. What about managing finances? Are we educating the scholars of tomorrow how to LIVE, FUNCTION, and think? All of this makes me believe that the education we push is also the cause of the throw away society we live in.

    ReplyDelete