Monday, October 22, 2012

My Favorite Thoreau Moments

First let me say it has been rather hectic at my house for the last few weeks! My daughte and my 4 year old grandson have been staying with us and I have really enjoyed getting to know Gaberiel better! He is a very active little boy, always wanting Grandma's attention, so reading has been a little tougher recently!
     I have read most of Henry David Thoreau's "Walden" and so far I love it!

This is just a little ramble of Thoreau uotes that I particularly like and some are rather humorous.

"You must live within yourself, and depend upon yourself..." (Thoreau, Resistance to Civil Government)

" There will never be a really free and enlightened State, until the State comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived, and treats him accordingly." (Thoreau,  Resistance to Civil Government)

"...my sight has been whetted by experience..."

"We worship not the Graces, nor the Parcae, but Fashion. She spins, and weaves, and cuts with full authority. The head monkey at Paris puts on a traveller's cap, and all the monkeys in America do the same." (Thoreau, Walden)

These are some very true words. I find them to be as true today as they were in Thoreau's day.

1 comment:

  1. A true scholar will recognize that wisdom can be found in the literature from the past. I love the aphorisms from both Emerson and Thoreau's work. So many of them relate to modern issues, problems, and events, more than most people realize.

    ReplyDelete